Thursday, April 19, 2018

HelpTeaching.com (A Homeschool Crew Review)



Sometimes, we as homeschool teachers/parents need all the help we can get. One resource I've used in the past and really enjoyed is HelpTeaching.com. This time around I received a one year subscription to HelpTeaching Pro.




A HelpTeaching.com Pro Subscription is available for families with materials appropriate for grades Pre-K through the 12. These materials include printable worksheets, tests, games...even the capability to create ones own tests and worksheets. There are lessons available for a variety of topics and subjects, as well.





Josiah is in High School and I have really narrowed down what he needs. He is dyslexic and I think it is so important give him extra help with reading. However, digging up that extra help can become quite time consuming. I have found the HelpTeaching site to be very easy to use and valuable in Josiah's goal to become a better reader. 
Before I show you how we use HelpTeaching, I do need to tell you that site LOTS of subject material. There is a little something for everybody. My best advice is to go roam around and take advantage of the free membership before investing in the Pro Subscription. I think it is WELL WORTH IT! 

As I mentioned before, I've been using it primarily to provide Josiah some extra help with reading. I'm about to show you a crazy amount of screen shots. The beauty of this site is that I can either download and print the materials or I can assign Josiah a lesson and have him read and take the test or complete the worksheet online. 





The above worksheet talked about comparing two works of fiction and has some comprehension questions at the the end. We did have a bit of a "funny" with this one. I'm not sure if it is a typo or what, but one of the main characters in the Harry Potter books was referred to as "Fobby." Harry Potter fans will recognize this character as "Dobby." 

In any event, the quiz was super easy to take online.



And provided Josiah with immediate satisfaction. 
 Along with the reading, I also took advantage of some of the premade quizzes. This one on Taxes came at an opportune time. There are answer sheets available...I actually let Josiah check his work with this one. 




Another little set of worksheets I liked really well were to help improve reading speed. I didn't give Josiah a goal to reach, but let him compete with himself each time. He really enjoyed these. 



Something I found really helpful was how easy it is to find what you need. You can see from the picture below that I can chose an assignment on word count, grade level or genre. I have just given you the High School levels here, but I certainly have used assignments from every grade level. I think it's important to use a variety of difficulty. 



This is a picture of one of the High School lessons. There aren't as many of those available as there are with the younger grades, but we did enjoy this one on "Phrases from Shakespeare." 




A really nice feature is the Text Maker. You can see that there are a lot of ways to use it. 



I chose to create a quiz on some important Life Skills we are working on. There were pages and pages of premade questions I got to chose from. 



Here is a picture of the very last question on this particular quiz. Can you tell I'm trying to reinforce something here? 😀



There is also a cute little Game & Puzzle Generator. Josiah enjoys Word Searches so I've taken advantage of that! 





This is really one of those products that I use over and over again. I have found it to be so practical and useful in this season of life. If I can't have more hours in the day at least I have HelpTeaching! 

You can connect with HelpTeaching.com via the following social media outlets. Don't forget to click on the banner below to read more reviews. You can see how other homeschoolers used the site. 




Help Teaching Pro. {HelpTeaching.com Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *