Tuesday, May 1, 2018

C.S. Lewis (YWAM Publishing) - A Homeschool Review Crew Post


YWAM Publishing has become my favorite spot for excellent Christian biographies. I have been privileged to review many of their excellent titles. Recently, I had the chance to read C.S. Lewis: Master Storyteller found in the Christian Heroes: Then & Now series. We also received a study guide to look at, as well.


Christian Heroes: Then & Now

I have reviewed lots-o biographies from YWAM and, remarkably, I have never asked to add the one about C.S. Lewis…until now. I say, “remarkably,” because C.S. Lewis has been a faithful friend since the first time I picked up The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I was about 8. From the minute, I started reading about Mr. Tumnus, Lucy and those wonderful Beavers, I was hooked.

You can bet that the minute Josiah was able to sit for more than a minute, I shared with him the wonderful world of Narnia.

The Book

C.S. Lewis: Master Storyteller was an interesting read. There was so much I didn’t know. You would have thought because I am such a major fan girl that I would have learned all I could about Mr. Lewis. 

I will tell you that I intended to let this book be one Josiah worked through on his own. He is dyslexic, but I have found that he can handle short spurts of reading…especially if it is a subject matter that interests him. However, I have a confession…I stayed up and read the book the very day we got it in the mail.

Little Clive Staple broke my heart. He had a relatively idyllic childhood, but suffered tragedies that changed the course of his life. Storytelling became a much-needed balm for his troubles. He eventually became a Literature Professor (after a stint in World War I) and was friendly with other famous authors...one whose name rhymes with “folkien.”

There are bits and pieces about Mr. Lewis’ life that are remarkable. His devotion to a fallen friend’s mother. His unlikely love story.  And did you know that he died the same day as JFK’s assassination?

Even more remarkable is the author’s path to faith and his point of view. His story is truly inspiring.
The book is intended for ages 10 and up…and I think it is suitable for a wide group of ages and interests.

Josiah is working his way through the book now and it has inspired him to get out the Narnia books, once again. Don’t you love when reading turns to more reading?

The book is well-written and is an attention graber, for sure. Mr. Lewis had such a vivid imagination.The authors, Janet and Geoff Benge, tell his story beautifully. 

The Study Guide

We also received a fantastic digital study guide.

Now this study guide has NO recommended ages because there is a little something for everybody. 

I am now going to employ my signature "screenshot" moves.

I LOVE this format. I like being able to find my stuff. And, trust me, YWAM gives you LOTS OF STUFF.



I haven't met a Study Guide from YWAM that hasn't been stellar. One could easily follow 100 different rabbit trails. And the HTML format helps you take them all.


The Guides are simply ideas and suggestions on how to use the book and the Study guide in a classroom/homeschool setting.

If you are a serial biographer assigner (I just made that up), you will find the charts found in the Classroom & Home Guide to be super helpful. In this pic, I've narrowed down the YWAM titles available that are about those who live in the Americas and their timeline. I love this feature.


There is also a suggested schedule available for students. Some of need a plan.

You will find the meat and potatoes of the Unit Study under Unit Study 1. Here is a screen shot of the table of contents. And, believe you me, there are plenty of options under each and every heading.


Here is a creative writing assignment found under Student Explorations. There are also Hands On projects, Audio Visual projects...literally, there is something for every kind of learner. 


The Appendixes' are filled with helps for you! I love the lists of books and articles that tie into the life of C.S. Lewis.


Unit Study 2 contains reproducible materials. These include a United Kingdom report form and a couple of maps. 

I wanted to mention another neat part about the study. Moving back to the main page you can see a bonus materials tab. It takes you to a section found on the YWAM Publishing website that has lots of fun stuff for the kids. Here you can see links for Word Puzzles. 


You can see that this Study Guide is pretty awesome. I am always impressed with the thoroughness of each and every one of them.

The books I have received from YWAM Publishing have been some of my favorites. I have reviewed many, but I thought I would direct you to one of my favorites, Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems.

YWAM has a host of other great titles about many great men and women of faith...We have been blessed to read about everyone from George Washington to George Washington Carver.  These books make a wonderful addition to any home library.

I'm ready to read about Elisabeth Elliot next. Her life has always inspired me!

You can connect with YWAM Publishing via the following social media outlets. Don't forget to click on the banner below to read more reviews!





Christian Heroes, Heroes of History & Study Guides {YWAM Publishing  Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *