Monday, January 6, 2020

Meal Plan Monday - It Begins Again!

As promised I am starting up my Meal Plan Monday posts again.


It's been a while, my friends.

I have to tell you that these won't be especially inspiring posts...unless you are seeking to create a healthy lifestyle for yourself and your family.

My son (Josiah) and The Studly Muffin don't have to follow my same eating plan, but I fix what I fix. There might be a few additions or substitutions I with them in mind. However, they have been really on board with what I'm doing thus far. Which is good for them.  I've never made separate meals...unless somebody wants Ramen. Then they are on their own.

I also have been making my menus around nightly themes. I take into account what our average week is like and planned accordingly. Though we won't start Homeschool Co-op back up for a few more weeks, I still planned like it's a thing this week. It's just easier that way.

At a later date, I will explain what my eating plan requires me to have for every meal. I am also supposed to have a serving of fruit which I haven't listed in my menus. I am required to have 2 cups of non-starchy veggies with each meal. I can have them anyway I want them...though I imagine deep-fried in batter would be a definite no-no.

Monday - Easy Peasy (Homeschool Co-op Day)

Slow Cooker Pinto Beans 
I don't even bother soaking the beans. They just simmer all day in the slow cooker with a little ham bone, an onion and spices.
Cornbread Muffins (for my guys)
Kale Salad ( I LOVE this recipe. I don't use the honey because it spikes my blood sugar. I add just a bit of sweetener instead. I also purchase one of the those precut Kale bags at Aldi for convenience)

Tuesday - Taco Night! 

We love us some tacos. I usually do some variation of taco salad. On this night I am planning on making Mrs. Criddles Taco Salad Crunch.  It is super yummy. I will use leftover pintos instead of the canned beans it calls for.

Wednesday - Josiah Cooks

I used to have him do this more often. He's gotten out of the habit since we've moved to Indiana. This week he is making spaghetti. I am going to fix myself a side of zoodles instead of the pasta.
This is an easy slow cooker spaghetti recipe from Skinnytaste.com. We have some ground pork we need to use up and I will have him add some extra Italian seasonings. We will also be using canned tomatoes from my parents' garden.

Thursday - Comfort Food

Baked Chicken Legs
Baked Potatoes (sweet for me)
Roasted Green Beans Fries

It doesn't get any self-explanatory than that.  I generally marinate my chicken legs in a little vinegarette salad dressing then bake them in the oven.

I like to wrap up my potatoes in foil and also cook them in the oven. I can have a little bit of butter on my sweet potato and I also like to sprinkle it with a little salt and pepper.

If you haven't made Green Bean Fries you are missing out. They are The Muffin's favorite. This recipe is close to the way I make mine. Though I don't make a dipping sauce and I use olive oil instead of coconut oil.

Friday - Family Night

This meal is generally an easy one that I try and make more fun. This Friday we are having Burrito Bowls with brown rice, leftover pinto beans, roasted leftover chicken, and a few extra toppings. Burrito bowls are so easy to make and you can customize them to fit your family's needs and tastes. I will use cauli rice with my brown rice to help with my non-starchy veggie requirement.

Saturday - Frugal Gourmet

I usually have a bit more time on Saturday to cook. It doesn't mean I'll take it. But I do like to be a little bit fancier on Saturdays. At least, as fancy as my budget allows me to be. This week my Saturday meal is still fairly easy to put together.

Garlic Butter Baked Cod
Roasted Broccoli
Quinoa Salad with Spinach and Almonds
This quinoa recipe is really good. I didn't pick up radishes to go in it so I probably will forgo those. I also will use the walnuts I already have instead of almonds. I probably will add extra cauli rice in my cooked quinoa to beef up my non-starchy veggie requirements. If your folks aren't all about the quinoa you can certainly substitute brown rice.

Sunday - Leftovers

Hopefully, we will have a few. If not I will make a survey of the pantry and fridge Saturday night and do something simple. A simple veggie soup is always easy to throw together.

That's it! Let me know if you have any questions.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *