Monday, August 10, 2015

Have You Heard This One? My very favorite Audio Books & Dramatizations (Back to Homeschool Blog Hop)

Welcome back to Day 2 of our Back to Homeschool Blog Hop!




Today I want to talk to you about one of my great loves.

No. This past has nothing to do with chocolate, sushi or brown-eyed-boys.

We are talking Audio Books. I am a voracious reader. I am always reading something. However, I am almost as fond of a good audio book. They have occupied many a happy road trips and afternoons spent cleaning house.

When we discovered Josiah was dyslexic Read Alouds became that much more important to us. I didn’t want him to miss out on all the books I loved just because reading print was difficult for him.
I have continued to read aloud, but through the years have gathered a variety of treasured audio resources. The ones I am sharing with you today are by no means all of our favorites…mostly our very favorites.

I am kind of picky about my audio books. There are plenty of free readings of books (such as those at librivox). However, the ones I am sharing with you have passed my high bar of read aloud gold.
I have also linked to either Amazon or another site that will allow you to purchase the audiobook (there are a few free ones). I am not an affiliate of any of these sites, but I wanted you to see the exact version and narrator for yourself. Some of them are very inexpensive. I have also purchased some of mine at library sales or asked for them as Christmas gifts. Mostly, we have started simply by reserving them at our local library.

With Lee In Virginia – This dramatization of G.A. Henty's book is a new addition to our favorites list. We reviewed it this summer and Josiah loved it so much it inspired a study of the Civil War. In fact, when I asked him what he would include in this list…this was the first one out of his mouth. The company that produced With Lee in Virginia has 2 other excellent adventures as well. 

The Hobbit – This is one of my favorite books of all time. Though I started with the unabridged version read by Rob Inglis, the BBC dramatized version of the book is excellent. We have listened to it many times. The Lord of the Rings dramatized books are terrific, as well.

Charlotte’s Web – There haven’t been many children of a certain pass through my life without a read aloud of this wonderful book. I usually read it myself, but there happens to be a special audio version recorded by the author, E.B.White, himself.

Hank the Cowdog – Some of our favorite audiobooks happen to involve Hank the Cowdog.  They are hysterical!

Little House on the Prairie – These books are near and dear to my heart. Our favorite audio version is read by Cherry Jones. We like all of them, but Josiah has asked to listen to Little House on the Prairie time and time again.

The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy – This is a relatively new find in our house. It was recommended by a fellow Schoolhouse Crew Reviewer. I immediately went and found a used copy on Amazon. I loved it so much that I reserved an audio copy at the library.

The Princess and the Goblin by George McDonald – Have you read this charming tale of courage? This is certainly one to add to your collection.

Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare – This Edith Nesbitt book is a treasure. There are free versions available, but I prefer the oldie and goodie. In fact, one of the narrators can also heard on a wonderful My Man Jeeves (P.G. Woodhouse) audio recording.

The Adventures in Odyssey – Oh, how we have enjoyed this! I have given you link to Whit’s End. They have a daily podcast you can follow for free. We actually have found many of our treasured CD’s at Thrift Stores. Our library also has many available for check out.  If you check out the Radio Theatre on the Focus on the Family site you can listen to a broadcast daily of a classic. They are generally divided into parts so you have to be aware of what is playing and when.

The Horse and His Boy – Okay. I know this is the least likely in the whole Narnian saga that you would expect I would talk about. They ALL are terrific. However, this happens to be Josiah’s favorite. We also like love the dramatized version from Focus on the Family’s Radio Theatre.  These are some I could listen to over and over. Last year, Josiah got a copy of Prince Caspian (through our library program) read by Lynn Redgrave. It is wonderful. 

The Hiding Place – This memoir by Corrie Ten Boom made such an impact me as a girl.  I challenge you to read any other memoir by a survivor of the Holocaust and then read Corrie’s. Her light shines through.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – So I recognize that there are some that aren’t as comfortable with the fictional wizard and his adventures. That’s okay. For those of you who do enjoy the books you will love the audio books. Jim Dale should be one of Britain’s national treasures.

James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Animal Tales – You might recognize James Herriot from his lovely book, All Creatures Great and Small. It just so happens that Jim Dale (the treasure of Great Britain) is also the narrator of Herriot’s Treasury for Children. It. Is. Precious.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – The version I have linked for you was actually recorded by the author himself, Roald Dahl.  All of books have made the rounds of favorite “read aloud” at our house. This is one of the books I think is fun to read aloud if you don’t want to spend time or money on finding an audio version.

Oliver Twist – This is also a dramatized version from Focus on the Family.  Charles Dickens has always been one of my favorites. Oliver Twist (along with David Copperfield) were some of my earlier Dickens reads. Story Nory has a FREE dramatized audio of The Christmas Carol. And speaking of Story Nory…

The Hound of the Baskervilles – Story Nory has this classic, as well! Along with The Secret Garden, Alice in Wonderland and more! This site has been one of my favorite resources. Not only can the books be downloaded to your computer, but they have the story right there on the page to read along. And they have British accents! You can tell I have a thing. For those of you who have younger kids there is a sweet section of nursery rhymes and fairy tales. 

So that’s about it (for now)

Get Listening!

Come back tomorrow (Day 3) and I will share some of my favorite Documentaries, Videos and a few movies. You find Day 1 (Cheat Sheets for Good Eats) here.









This post is part of the Back To School Blog Hop from my friends at  the Schoolhouse Review Crew and Homeschool Blogging Connection. Be sure to check my landing page out for their links...I know you will blessed! 

3 comments:

  1. Great list! Thanks for sharing. Audiobooks are very popular here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see myself downloading more books.... my lad is thoroughly hooked on audio books now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic list. I will be checking them out -- because I think read-alouds are wonderful but I can't stand being the reader!!

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *